Pages

Friday, June 8, 2012

Walkabout Harfsfjord water's edge

After dropping off the kids at ISS on Wednesday, I found myself alone on my own finally after almost two weeks in my new playground. What's a birder to do alone on their own : birdwatch of course except this time without pesky kids around.

I started off from Kiwi supermart at the start of Harfsfjord Bru and walked 4kms along the water's edge. A few nice birds popped up, one was new to me.

A common sight on the water's edge all over these parts, Oystercatcher, most often you'll hear them first.

A Great Cormorant suddenly popped out of nowhere looking a bit annoyed at the presence of an intruder (yours truly).

A juvenile Siland / Red-breasted Merganser (Mergus serrator) also decided to join our party.

He made some awkward gesture, popping it's head, opening it's beak ... silently without any ensuing sound.


The Meadow Pipit was more than noisy. This tiny bird kept flitting about excitedly around me, most likely it's got a nest of young someplace nearby.

Common Eider, male and female just under the Harfsfjord Bru, apparently a guaranteed site for this species.

The 3.68km route I walked in my loafers.

It's definitely satisfying to watch all these without hindrance, however these days it feels much more gratifying to be able to share it with the youngins despite their whining. For this short walkie they'd probably appreciate the view, the birds and the numerous picturesque pit-stops; I'm not so sure if they'll appreciate the 4km distance walk with their short legs though.

2 comments:

  1. 28. Siland / Red-breasted Merganser (Mergus serrator)

    ReplyDelete
  2. 29. Rosenfink / Common Rose Finch (Carpodacus erythrinus) ... in Bru.

    ReplyDelete