Pages

Sunday, May 26, 2013

Short waderwatching Telecommunication Museum Naerlande

I didn't get my fill of 10,000 waders while at Tromso, so had to go out again searching for waders this morning.

The day before I was at Tungenes Fyr, Randaberg for a short while. The wind was very strong, the only birds seen hanging around were the gulls and they were having a great time soaring with the coastal gusts. There was also a pair of Common Ringed Plover from last year at their usual nest site.

Today I drove directly to Revtangen via Sola-Olderberg-Vigdel-Bore, noticed a few Common Velvet at the beach in Sola as I was passing by the airport. There weren't anything significant along the way in the fields along the way either.

At Revtangen there were several cars parked at the harbour, the beach was quiet other than a woman walking on the rocky side of the beach with two dogs unleashed. There were no birds at the usual spot except for a gull and two cormorants which were quickly spooked by the two dogs. Two Common Eider were seen playing in the surf on the sandy side of the beach. Other than that I didn't notice any waders. The wind wasn't too strong however the tide was high and there were some moderate wave action. I did not notice anything further out at sea. There have been some sightings of very interesting seabirds the past couple of days at this very spot.

Naerlande

My next stop was the beach at Naerlande just past the Telecommunication Museum. I tried a path along the fields and ended up on a sandy beach. There were several Common Ringed Plover there ... at least 20 and several Dunlin in breeding plumage. I haven't seen one with the black belly patch close up before, the rust orange mantel of summer plumage was very nice in the sun.

The waders were spooked quickly as I moved for a closer shot. At 14 deg C, I was feeling rather chilly in my light summer  pullover ... sunny doesn't mean it's warm in Norway especially if there a breeze.

Oystercatcher / Tjeld / Haematopus ostralegus

Common ringed Plover / Sandlo / Charadrius hiaticula 

Shelduck / Gravand / Tadona tadorna

Arctic Tern / Rodnebbterne / Sterna paradisaea


Dunlin / Myrsnipe / Calidris alpina



On the way back to the parking spot, took a shot of a Shelduck sitting contently on his rock. He's been here the numerous times I've visited this beach. Today there was also a tern, we one a tern as well when I last came here in March with Neil and Inger. This it's resting on a rock was quite happy with itself. I managed a few shots before it flew off. I think it's an Arctic Tern ... the bill clearly does not have a black tip and it has the two long streamers of a tail.

Barnacle Goose / Hvitkinngas / Branta leucopsis 


Nearby the spooked waders earlier had found a spot to forage, I had a second chance at the Dunlin.

Though the sun was starting to come out again, the wind was still blowing moderately. I decided to leave it for now ... will explore the spot again another day. This place is a popular walking area with paths going around all over the place, photography might be a tad challenging.

No comments:

Post a Comment